4 avril 2010

Happy Easter!

Alas, the weather report could not have been more wrong and apart from a little drizzling on Saturday morning, it's been fairly blue skies all weekend and we could have probably survived without postponing our trip to the coast. And although they only predicted a 10% chance of precipitation for next weekend, with my luck I bet it will rain (ah, the pessimist in me). We'll see, I guess!

So instead of running around on the beach and climbing sand dunes yesterday, my hallmate and I baked up a storm, which was just as fun I suppose.


These caramel-almond sticky buns were terrific, but...


... although they are less impressive-looking, these caramel-topped vanilla cupcakes really stole the show. I have never made vanilla cupcakes that have tasted so good as well as been so soft and moist - this recipe is definitely my new go-to for a vanilla cake.

For the sticky buns, we used the recipe here at Little Blue Hen (an excellent food blog, might I add), but I absolutely must include the caramel cupcake recipe here.

Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Caramel Icing
Cake recipe adapted from Sky High by Piece of Cake and modified further by me - the original cake recipe is slightly more complicated, butter-wise (although it would probably taste better with it), but I simplified this baby down for your (or mostly my) convenience

Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled, cold even, before icing them. If they are the slightest bit warm, they will tear when you turn them over to dip them in the hot icing. If the icing begins to harden while you are working with it, just set it over a medium flame and stir it for 30 seconds or so until it loosens up again.

Makes about 18 iced cupcakes*


For the cupcakes:
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, at room temperature (I just used normal milk and added a tablespoon of vinegar - let that sit for a few minutes first)
1 1/2 cups cake flour (or what I did, about 1 3/8 cups all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon corn flour)
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil


For the caramel icing:
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into a few chunks
Generous 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar


Place an oven rack to the center position and preheat it to 350 degrees. Line 18 cups of 2 muffin tins with paper liners.

In a large measuring cup, whisk together, the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, buttermilk and oil and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour in the wet ingredients and whisk it all together (well, I just used a spoon and mixed it together like a maniac) until everything comes together and the batter is light and fluffy.

Portion the batter into the muffin tins and bake until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly touched, 20-25 minutes. Let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a a wire rack to cool completely.

When the cupcakes have cooled, make the icing. Put the dark brown sugar, butter and salt in a medium saucepan, and melt them together over medium heat, stirring often. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the milk and vanilla. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dump in the confectioners' sugar all at once and beat with a wooden spoon until the icing is thickened and smooth. Quickly ice the cupcakes by holding each by the base and dipping the tops in the hot icing, rolling them slightly to coat evenly. Turn them quickly upright so the icing will even out while it's still warm and will set smoothly. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

*This is true. Do not try to be clever (or lazy, rather) and think that the batter looks fine in just twelve muffin cups, because they will overflow in strange ways, and you will be disheartened (only momentarily though because they will still taste fantastic).


I still have a few of the buns and cupcakes left and it's taking everything in me not to eat them all right now. We ate so much yesterday it was sickening (but in a good way, of course).

Check out my new blog header, and Happy Easter everyone!

5 commentaires:

  1. :O wow!! i can never get my baking to look quite as pretty as that :)
    they look so yummy :)
    haha love confectioner's sugar
    great post!
    will definitely try that recipe some time.
    and happy easter! xx

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I love your baking posts! It all looks fantastic, but the cupcakes are my favourite I think [not even tasted them but I know they'd be really yummy]. My Mum made hotcross buns this weekend. I usually don't like them, but she put blueberries in them and they were lovely.
    Happy Easter Heidi! xx

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Where did you find those cupcake papers? I've been looking for them everywhere!

    Mmm, they look so delish! The cupcakes and the sticky buns! :D

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Glad you enjoyed the rolls. They don't last long at our house either.

    The cupcakes look delicious! It's probably for the best that I'm out of eggs and won't be able to make them for breakfast. At least not today.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Looks delicious! I should try this soon. Happy Easter! :)

    RépondreSupprimer